Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Psalm 118: 6,8

Psalm 118: 6,8
The Lord is on my side; I will not fear, what can man do unto me? 

It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man.

These two verses jumped off the page at me this morning - a reflection of what has been on my mind. I am distraught over our present president and the Republican party. And even more disturbing is the fact that you don't hear anyone (at least only a few) speaking up for true principles. There is a vacuum - it complete loss of moral leadership.

I try to watch enough of the news to know what is going on but I find it leaves me disturbed, unsettled. I have nightmares all too often.

And so I have had to resolve to focus my attention and energy on the things that I can control and which brings peace and happiness to my life.

Reading my scriptures and channeling my thoughts is and has been for many years now the place where I work through the things that are on my mind. It's where I define myself. I'm talking to myself and writing what I believe - what makes me me. It helps to write things down. What I write on paper I can let go of - as if I've taken the thought and put it in a safe place. Now I don't have to carry it around any more.

Scripture reading combined with journaling helps me realize how universal some of my issues are. I am not alone in struggling with my frustration with government. Here in the Psalms the writer is expressing the same frustration PLUS he is suggesting an idea that helped him. Trust in God.

I find that when I get upset with politics, I find peace and happiness by focusing my time and energy on things that have eternal importance. There is after all "peace in righteous doing".

So where do I find myself finding that peace?

Family
Friends
Service
Genealogy / Temple work
My husband and our relationship

This life I have is very simple. Yesterday was a lovely day - A satisfying day. Got up and wrote the talk I will give on the 24th at a sacrament meeting in the Young Single Adult ward. Exercised. Which shopping for Christmas presents for a few friends.

Began to deliver those gifts, stopping to visit along with the gift-giving.

Came home, talked to my daughter on the phone.

Went to my neighbor's home to sample some sweet bread some Guatemalan friends had given her. Exchanged gifts. Learned what a spurtle is and how to roll a ball of yarn so that the yarn comes out of the center of the ball!

Came home and helped my husband with a Photoshop project. Answered some emails. Read my current novel before crashing in bed.

Today will be similar and how lovely that we are able to have such a good life. I feel so very blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Finding Insights in the Psalms

I read a book this last year entitled "For Times of Trouble" (Spiritual Solace from the Psalms) by Jeffrey R. Holland.  I was so t...