Saturday, December 19, 2020

Psalm 17

I shall not write out this whole psalm but quote parts of it. It reminds me of the story from Mark 9:17-23 of the father who brought his ailing son to Jesus to be healed. Jesus said to the man, "If thou canst believe, all things are possible to them that believeth."

In tears the man replied, 'Lord, I believe. Help thou my unbelief.".  

In this psalm, we see David doing a similar thing.

Psalm 17:3
Thou has proved my heart. Thou has visited me in the night, thou has tried me, and shalt find nothing. I am purposed that my mouth shall not transgress.

This is David's "Lord, I believe" statement.

He continues with several more positive statements then switches quickly.

Psalm 17:5
Hold up my goings in thy paths, that my footsteps slip not. (Lord, help thou my unbelief!)

That balance of faith and doubt is so real in our lives. We do have periods where our faith seems strong and we feel as if we have a sense of confidence in our own spiritual growth. I have found it true that "Pride goeth before the fall".  whenever I begin to feel so good about myself, I end up doing something that reminds me once again that I am human and humans are imperfect. I am back on my knees seeking forgiveness and seeking strength.

In the first story The Lord healed the man's child. I love how this story demonstrates that our faith does not have to be perfect to get the Lord's help. I must be honest and sincere but not perfect. In Psalm 17 the psalmist ends with "As for me, I will behold thy face in righteousness. I shall not be satisfied, when I awake with a likeness."

We have every right to have that confidence.  When we are living the gospel and growing in understanding and commitment, when we are trying our best, that is all that is required. We will be welcomed home!

Psalm 17:8 says it well. 
Keep me as the apple of the eye, hide me under the shadow of thy wings.

We are the apple of His eye and He keeps us in the shadow of His wing. God's love is bounteous. He knows us. He watches over us. He cheers us on. He laughs with us, cries with us, is aware of all we experience. We can rest, assured of His love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Finding Insights in the Psalms

I read a book this last year entitled "For Times of Trouble" (Spiritual Solace from the Psalms) by Jeffrey R. Holland.  I was so t...