Thursday, December 17, 2020

Psalm 19:7-8

Psalm 19:7-8

  • The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
  • The testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple.
  • The statutes of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart.
  • The commandment of the Lord is pure, enlightening the eyes.

This whole psalm is very beautiful - both in content and the poetic way it is written. I chose these two versus because I have learned their importance over the course of my life.

We cannot be forced, bribed, coerced, or in any other way manipulated into doing what is right. We learn to live God's law by "experimenting upon the word" and discovering that it "beginneth to be delicious". (Alma 32)

Joseph Smith said that he taught correct principles and his people governed themselves.

In the Doctrine and Covenants section 84 verse 46 it says, "And the spirit giveth light to every man that cometh into the world..."  That says to be that when we were created, we had built into our being a mechanism for judging what is right and wrong.  We can be trusted to learn from our experiences.

If we believe that - then our job is to invite others to live gospel principles and discover themselves that these principles are true. We have to find joy in living the gospel and testify of that joy!

Really now, are you impressed by someone who says "I pay my tithing because it's a true principle - it's hard to live but I keep doing it because it's true." Or are you more impressed when someone says, "It was hard at first to live the law of tithing but I felt such peace inside when I decided to do it."
True principles should bring peace and joy into our lives.  It is that peace and joy that people are seeking. 

Another reason I like these two verses in Psalm 19 is because the promises there are beautiful!


Converting the soul
Making wise the simple
Rejoicing the heart
Enlightening the eyes

The Apostle James extorted the members in James 1:22-23 "Be doers of the word, and not hearers only... but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed."

How are we blessed? It's those four promises above. We'll be converted to the principle, it will make future choices simple, we'll be filled with joy as we live true principles, and we'll have gained in knowledge of the principle (our eyes will be enlightened). We grow in truth and light.

Hymn #239 Choose the Right

Choose the right
There is peace in righteous doing.
Choose the right
There's safety for the soul.
Choose the right, choose the right
Let wisdom mark the way before.
In its light, choose the right 
and God will bless you ever more.

I love reading the weekly letters from our missionary grandchildren. Their letters are testimony of finding joy in living the gospel. They are having that experience themselves and also as they watch others change their lives. They see the "light" turned on in the lives of their converts while they themselves radiate that light because for this period of their lives they are choosing to fully live the Gospel.

Kaden, "I love the Gospel. It brings me joy doing the work.".

Tanner, "It was such an amazing week. I loved every minute of it. Everything that happens strengthens my testimony so much more."

Alyssa, "The Book of Mormon is true and it has enlightened my understanding."

Cameron "I know that happiness is a choice and that through the commandments we can receive all the blessings of the Lord. I love covenants and being able to be bound with the Father. I will never forget these two years and the changes that occurred in me and being able to see that same change in others."

Isn't it such a great blessing to have the Gospel in our lives and to feel the joy of living a life based on true principles, knowing who we are, and knowing God's love!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Finding Insights in the Psalms

I read a book this last year entitled "For Times of Trouble" (Spiritual Solace from the Psalms) by Jeffrey R. Holland.  I was so t...