Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Psalm 2 - A Messianic Psalm

The notes to this chapter call it a Messianic psalm. I must admit that I found nothing particularly inspirational here. So let's see what Elder Holland says:

He starts by reminding us that the theme of all the Psalms is that life is full of trouble; trouble for God as much as for men. Remember always that God our Heavenly Father is totally committed to and involved in our lives.

So Psalm 2 begins by pointing out that those without faith (the heathen) rage and people (any and all of us are incriminated here) imagine a "vain thing'. Vain has two meanings. Vain can mean self-centered and it can also mean futile. When we catch ourselves lacking faith and being vain; like the kings in verse 2 we may be angry and take counsel against the Lord and his Son, (the Anointed).

The Kings or leaders in Christ's time did that - they counseled together in VAIN to destroy him but their efforts were useless (futile) for the plan of salvation - God's work - Christ's atonement - could not be stopped. "I will declare the decree, the Lord has said unto me, this day have I begotten thee."

When we find ourselves raging and angry because life is so hard, we must summon our faith "Be wise now, be instructed, serve the Lord with reverence, kiss the Son, blessed are all they that put their trust in Him."

Elder Holland reminds us,  "We might rage and insist it be otherwise, but it is not. God has a plan for our exaltation, and His Only Begotten Son is central to it. So rather than rebellion and vanity, raging and conceit, the call is for wisdom and humility, for understanding and obedience."

It's time to exercise faith. I went through this process during and after my divorce. I was angry at the Lord. I was demanding that he explain to me how a family breaking up fits into the eternal scheme. I was angry that he did not reach for his hand and provide healing for us. Maybe this was just the angry stage of the grieving process but I distanced myself from the one true source of comfort.

When I finally got tired of being angry, I found myself longing for God - needing Him in my life. Humility brought me to my knees. I did not get my questions answered but once I began to feel God's presence in my life I was content. I could stop raging and begin exercising faith.

Wow, I am surprised at how much  there is here in Psalm 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Finding Insights in the Psalms

I read a book this last year entitled "For Times of Trouble" (Spiritual Solace from the Psalms) by Jeffrey R. Holland.  I was so t...