Sunday, December 27, 2020

Psalm 5

Once again I have to battle with the language of the Old Testament so I will just say this once and for all and be done. I don't know why there is such a harsh language describing God in these books. I have to assume that there was a complete lack of understanding of His character. Or maybe this is where the "plain and precious truths" were lost over the years of translation and re-translation. I find it interesting that the LDS book of scripture, The Pearl of Great Price, dates back to the same time period and speaks of the "God Who Weeps" - the Loving Father.

Psalm 5 speaks of God hating workers of iniquity and how he will destroy them. Quite a contrast to our understanding of the Father who loves us dearly and continues to do all He can to teach us, implores us to follow Him and to find happiness in His teachings. He weeps at the pain we suffer when we err.

So I reject these negative descriptions of God emphatically. They frightened of me as a child and made me afraid of that being I called God the Father. I left Jesus who embodied everything that was good. Ironic that LDS doctrine teaches that Jesus is the god of the old testament - Jehovah.

Having said all that I find that I cannot let go of these inaccuracies. I feel sorry for anyone who is stuck in that negative interpretation of God. What joy they miss by such a gross misunderstanding.

In between these little vignettes of the angry God there are actually lovely poetic gems that are beautiful and inspiring. My favorite verse in Psalm 5 is verse 11 which says,  But let all those that put their trust in thee rejoice: let them ever shout for joy, because thou defendest them; let them also that love thy name be joyful in thee.

That verse reminds me of another favorite D&C 128:19
Now, what do we hear in the gospel which we have received? A voice of gladness! A voice of mercy from heaven, and a voice of truth out of the earth; glad tidings for the dead, a voice of gladness for the living and the dead; glad tidings of great joy.

The gospel should bring us joy - on so many levels.

1. JOY because Gospel principles bring happiness as you live them. For example, we all know what it feels like to have done something wrong and then to be forgiven. Both actions - asking forgiveness (repentance) and receiving forgiveness are principles that bring joy and healing to relationships. I am grateful to have such principles to guide my life.

2. JOY  because the truth of who we are as children of God and the purpose of life here on earth gives us a way to keep life's challenges in an eternal perspective. Instead of despair we are given hope to guide us through the difficult days.

3. JOY  because we learn to get out of our own small worlds and to serve others. As we see what others experience and serve them we gain a deeper appreciation for what we have. Service to others brings joy.

4. JOY  because we know that God is supreme and goodness will eventually triumph. Our future is filled with promise. We will dwell forever in happiness with those we love, surrounded by truth and light and glory - worlds without end. We have every reason to be filled with optimism and joy.

Psalm 5:12
For thou, Lord, wilt bless the righteous; with favor wilt thou compass him as with a shield.

The Lord does not build a wall around us that protects us from all difficulties. That would defeat the purpose of mortality. But he does compass us with the shield of faith and hope and testimony. He protects our hearts from fear, doubt and depression. He is always with us, loving us, enlarging us, for giving us, strengthening us.

Hymn #89 says it perfectly:

The Lord is my light, then why should I fear?
By day and by night, His presence is near.
He is my salvation from sorrow and sin.
This blessed assurance the spirit doth bring.

The Lord is my light though clouds may arise
Faith, stronger than sight, looks up through the skies
Where Jesus forever in glory doth reign.
Then how can I ever in darkness remain?

The Lord is my light.
He is my joy and my song.
By day and by night he leads,
He leads me along.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Finding Insights in the Psalms

I read a book this last year entitled "For Times of Trouble" (Spiritual Solace from the Psalms) by Jeffrey R. Holland.  I was so t...