Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Psalm 92:1

Psalm 92:1
It is a good thing to give thanks unto the Lord, and to sing praises unto thy name, O Most High.

I had a friend named Mary when we lived in Tennessee. She was this very wonderful and lovable person who you were happy to have as a friend. Her great sorrow in life was that her daughter was an opium addict. One day while we were talking she asked if I would like to read her journal from this period of her life. I was amazed that she trusted me enough to share something so personal. I was even more amazed at the content of her journal. It was a gratitude journal. She chose to cope with her sorrow by reminding herself of her blessings - to look for something good each day.

I believe her ability to do that is what made her such a treasured friend, someone you just wanted to be around.

In our living room, there is a picture on the wall of a rabbit by Albrecht Durer, a watercolor painted in 1502 and famous because it is so lifelike. Although just a print of his famous original, this picture is a treasured gift from Mary who encouraged me to not only look for the blessings in life but to fill my life with beauty.

In my favorite cancer book the author says:

"Even with cancer, even in the middle of a difficult treatment cycle, even in your darkest and most fearful hours, be thankful for all you do have. For life, for love, for family, for friends, for the awesome beauty of nature, for the presence of God, for all these things and more, be thankful.

Be grateful. If you wish to cultivate a deeper attitude of gratitude I suggest you begin to see yourself as a guest who is only visiting here on earth. All that you have is not really yours; it is a gracious gift from your host.

Exude gratitude. It transforms the very experience of illness and life."

(Cancer: 50 Essential Things to Do by Greg Anderson)

Happy people are grateful people.

For the beauty of the Earth
For the beauty of the skies
For the love which from our birth
Over and around us lies
Lord of all to thee we raise
This our song of grateful praise!

EXUDE GRATITUDE

No comments:

Post a Comment

Finding Insights in the Psalms

I read a book this last year entitled "For Times of Trouble" (Spiritual Solace from the Psalms) by Jeffrey R. Holland.  I was so t...