Tuesday, October 6, 2020

Refections on my reading of the Psalms

I am so glad I took the time to read the Psalms - to really read them.

The writer of the psalms struggled with life. David had real enemies to deal with. His nation was at war a lot of the time. David had his personal challenges, too. He sinned and knew the sorrow of lives ruined. He lost a son and oh, how he grieved.

Still David knew the Lord. His Psalms are a roller coaster of emotions. Isn't that the way life is?  There may be some who lives simple good lives of faith strong enough to weather any storms. But that is not the norm.

Most of us have our ups and downs just as we see in the Psalms.

There is a psalm for every mood - a reminder that we are not alone in our struggles. Our feelings, our emotional ups and downs are the universal plight of mankind.

So we can find great comfort here in these verses.  This author is someone who understands, who has experienced what we have felt.

The amazing thing is that in the midst of all those struggles are some of the most beautiful scriptures ever have ever been written - words that lift us and give us hope. I end my journaling of the psalms by just remembering two of my favorites:


PSALM 23

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures:
he leadeth me beside the still waters.

He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the 
paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: 
for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: 
thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: 
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.


Psalm 103: 11-12

For as the heaven is high above the earth, 
so great is his mercy toward them that fear him.

As far as the east is from the west, 
so far hath he removed our transgressions from us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Finding Insights in the Psalms

I read a book this last year entitled "For Times of Trouble" (Spiritual Solace from the Psalms) by Jeffrey R. Holland.  I was so t...