Monday, December 14, 2020

Psalm 23

The Lord is my shepherd; 
I shall not want.

He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: 
he leadeth me beside the still waters.

He restoreth my soul: 
he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness 
for his name’s sake.

Yea, though I walk through the valley 
of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: 
for thou art with me; 
thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

Thou preparest a table before me 
in the presence of mine enemies: 
thou anointest my head with oil; 
my cup runneth over.

Surely goodness and mercy 
shall follow me all the days of my life: 
and I will dwell in the 
house of the Lord for ever.

This is the most faith affirming piece of literature that has ever been written. It is a beautiful and powerful affirmation.

It doesn't pretend that life will be easy if you have faith. It acknowledges that we are often called to walk through the valley of the shadow of death or to be in the presence of our enemies, be they other people or our own weaknesses. No matter what life may bring, we will not be alone.

Just listen to the words that describe what the Lord will be there doing for us:

Maketh me to lie down
Leadeth me
Restoreth
Thou art with me
Preparest
Anointest
Comfortest

During the course of a lifetime we may experience all of those blessings. You've heard me say this before probably but this is the most important lesson I have learned in life. I spend so much of my time praying that the circumstances of my life be changed. But God does not manipulate our lives that way. It was not until I finally reached the point where I could accept my circumstances (grudgingly as it was) and I just prayed for strength to endure and for belief in myself that I would be okay - then and only then did I begin to feel the Lord's peace in my life. I told him, "If I could just know that you are there and that you are aware of me, that will be enough." He is there, He knows me and loves me just as He knows and loves you.

I have always  been fascinated by a phrase that is repeated throughout a book series that I read - Jan Karon's Mitford books. Father Tim, the main character talks about "the prayer that never fails".

I found a prayer that never fails for me - I pray for the Lord to be my shepherd. I need to know He is there.

I have always loved the 23rd psalm. I was about 10 years old when I first memorized it. Back then it was a beautiful poem. Today it is my testimony.

Hymn # 109 The Lord My Pasture Will Prepare

The Lord my pasture will prepare
And feed me with a shepherd's care.
His presence will my wants supply
And guard me with a watchful eye.
My noonday walks he will attend
And all my silent midnight hours defend.

When in the sultry glebe I faint
Or on the thirsty mountain pant,
To fertile vales and dewy meads
My weary, wandering steps he leads.
Where peaceful rivers soft and slow
Amid the cooling verdant landscape flow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Finding Insights in the Psalms

I read a book this last year entitled "For Times of Trouble" (Spiritual Solace from the Psalms) by Jeffrey R. Holland.  I was so t...