Saturday, December 5, 2020

Psalm 41:1- 3 He Considereth the Poor

Psalm 41:1- 3
Blessed is he that considereth the poor; the Lord will deliver him in time of trouble.
The Lord will preserve him, and keep him alive; and he shall be blessed upon the Earth, and thou will not deliver him unto the will of his enemies.
The Lord will strengthen him upon the bed of languishing; thou wilt make all his bed in his sickness.

It is interesting that as you read scriptures daily, you start to see connections and gain insights into things going on in your own life.

Last evening we attended the annual interfaith awards dinner and were blessed to hear the stories of people who "considereth the poor". I came home uplifted and renewed in my own commitment to make a difference in the world.

Matthew 5:45 
For he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and the unjust.

We don't do good works because we expect a reward, because we think the Lord will preserve our life or protect us from all evil.

We do good works because we love God's children and want to bless them. We do good works because it is our way of thanking our Father in Heaven for all the blessings He has given us. The reward is seeing lives change, and helping another see a glimmer of hope, in bringing light into the darkness of despair. The work is the reward and we seek none other. 

That was the greatness we saw as we heard the stories of the two men who were honored last evening.


Because I have been given much, I too must give;
Because of thy great bounty, Lord, each day I live;
I shall divide my gifts from thee
With every brother that I see
Who has the need of help from me.

Because I have been sheltered, fed by thy good care;
I cannot see another’s lack and I not share;
My glowing fire, my loaf of bread,
my roof's safe shelter overhead
That he too may be comforted.

Because I have been blessed by thy great love dear Lord;
I’ll share thy love again according to thy word;
I shall give love to those in need,
I’ll show that love by word and deed;
Thus shall my thanks be thanks in deed.

Music by Phillip Landgrave (1975)
Lyrics by Grace Noll Crowell (1936)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Finding Insights in the Psalms

I read a book this last year entitled "For Times of Trouble" (Spiritual Solace from the Psalms) by Jeffrey R. Holland.  I was so t...