Friday, November 27, 2020

Psalm 57:1

Psalm 57:1
Be merciful unto me, O God, be merciful unto me: for my soul trusteth in thee; yes, in the shadow of thy wings will I make my refuge until these calamities be overpast.

Once again we see a phrase that is so beautiful and poetic. It just reaches past the mind into our heart. Sometimes we wish for the "wings of the dove" so we can just escape. But sometimes we just want the Lord to wrap us in his arms and hold us - let us feel safe until the storm is past. Both phrases have been used over and over because those words themselves bring comfort.

Your grace abounds when my faith is weak,
I'm but a child here at your feet.
I give to you my everything.
Lord, safely hide me in the shadow of thy wings.

I know a place I can always run to
In times of distress, confusion, fear.
When my enemies surround me
I know I'm safe, for you keep me
And hide me in the shadow of your wings.

In the shadow of your wings
I know I am safe
In the shadow of your wings
I find relief, for you hold me
You will hold me and guide me
With your righteous hand
I find rest, peace of mind
In the shadow of thy wings.

Similar songs everything with the words "If I had the Wings of a Dove"

Imagery like this is compelling. In just a few words we find our longing for God's peace eloquently described. We instantly relate.

The Savior said "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto; not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."

Not as the world giveth - what peace does the world offer? That is quite the question in 2017. We are players on a stage that is constantly being changed and or manipulated by forces we cannot control. Politics and economics drive the world around us and our lives and fortunes are affected by people we may not even know exists. The forces of nature rise up against us. There is no wall we can erect to keep them at bay. 

Peace comes after a war but then war comes after the peace. The song "Where Have all the Flowers Gone" reminds us of that cycle. And it is not so very long in passing. War follows war and the periods of peace get shorter and shorter.

Afghanistan, 2001 - present
Operation Enduring  Freedom or the War on Terror began back in 1998. Al-Qaeda and now ISIS, the war continues.

Ongoing wars continue worldwide:
Burundi
Central African republic
Chad and the Sudan
Chechnya vs Russia
Columbia
Ivory coast
Darfur
Ethiopia Somalia
El Salvador's civil unrest
Iraq
Syria
Lebanon and Saudi Arabia now have civil unrest and internal conflict
North Korea threatens atomic war
Libya struggles

The US government issues travel warnings to help us so that we don't ignorantly walk into bad situations. The 2017 list includes the following nations: Togo, Niger, Venezuela, Sudan, Syria, Mexico, Somalia, Philippines, Burundi, Iraq, Pakistan, Israel, Afghanistan, Libya, Congo Congo, Mauritania, Cameroon, Cuba, Turkey, Iran, Jordan, Mali, Algeria, Burkina Faso, Yemen, Nigeria, Lebanon, Honduras, Eritrea, Haiti, Kenya, Ethiopia, Bangladesh, North Korea, Egypt, Ukraine, Columbia, Chad, Tunisia, Saudi Arabia, El Salvador.

No wonder I find myself having disturbing dreams all too often. The world is a scary place. We have to be oh, so careful.

In June of 2017 there was a Trafficking in Persons report from the US department of State. It includes:
Sex trafficking
Child sex trafficking
Forced labor
Bonded labor
Debt bondage
Domestic servitude
Forced child labor
Unlawful use of child soldiers

We always thought this was a third world country problem but June 2017 found 1,000 arrests around the United States for trafficking. Sadly our own area here in Michigan has turned out to be the second worst trafficking place in the nation. In last October 84 minors were rescued and 120 traffickers arrested. The average age of the minor was 15.

The whole operation was part of an international scheme involving Canada, the UK, Thailand, Cambodia and the Philippines, unbelievable that this could happen in the United States. Unbelievable that a market exists that encourages child sex trafficking, What has happened to our moral base?

Yes, I for one, am seeking a place of refuge - a place to daily restore my spirit and find peace. I long to be under the "Shadow of His Wings"; to find that peace that passes all understanding. As much as I would like to "fly away" - there is no place left to go, the world has gone mad. God alone is my refuge.

Hymn #102 Jesus, Lover of My Soul

Jesus, lover of my soul
Let me to thy bosom fly
While the nearer waters roll,
While the tempest still is nigh.

Hide me oh, My Savior, hide
Til the storm of life is past.
Safe into the haven guide
O receive my soul at last.

Other refuge have I none
Hangs my helpless soul on thee.
Leave, oh leave, me not alone
Still support and comfort me.

All my trust on thee is stayed.
All my help from thee I bring.
Cover my defenseless head
With the shadow of thy wing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Finding Insights in the Psalms

I read a book this last year entitled "For Times of Trouble" (Spiritual Solace from the Psalms) by Jeffrey R. Holland.  I was so t...