Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Psalm 59:1-2, 5, 13

Psalm 59:1-2, 5

Deliver me from mine enemies, O my God: defend me from them that rise up against me.

Deliver me from the workers of iniquity, and save me from bloody men.

Thou therefore, O Lord God of hosts, the God of Israel, awake to visit all the heathen: be not merciful to any wicked transgressors.


Consume them in wrath, consume them, that they may not be.

Okay, you'll have to forgive me this morning as I regress and contradict myself. Today I wish the Lord could and would destroy the wicked of the world. I am so sickened by the news each day. Why is there so much evil in the world? I should like to see them punished for their deeds. Immediately!

Examples:

Sexual harassment

I hope women continue to open up and share their stories and that a whole slew of perpetrators lose their jobs and can't get another one ever!!  I was going to say until they successfully go through a treatment program but I forgot - today I seek no mercy - only punishment. I am sick of it all!

How about human trafficking? Those people deserve no mercy!! That is EVIL INCARNATE!

I place in the same list leaders who play with nuclear weapons. What are they thinking? The shame of nuclear armament comes back to the United States. The horror of it is unimaginable! How could man create such a weapon? No mercy - no mercy. It's time to end such behavior. Lord, why can't you just stop this?

Mass shootings? I blame not just those who kill but those who make the weapons, those who sell them, those who write laws allowing it. I blame those who argue"constitutional rights". They all own a part of every death. Let them answer for their rolls. Let it end.

And what about corruption in government? And what about government leaders who have the power to positively impact the lives of ordinary people yet succumb to the pressures of special interest? Maybe they should wear a Scarlet Letter or have to tell the story of their shame to each new person they meet. Just let there be consequences. Why do the innocent suffer instead?

I am mad at a system of economics that is corrupted by greed. The Lord has said "there is enough and to spare" but we live at a time where something like 5% of the people control 90% of the wealth. When wealth is divorced from responsibility to others it is just wrong.

Legislators have the power to change that. Corporations have the power to create jobs. They have the responsibility to pay wages that are respectable.

No one should be nice be denied health care. That is also wrong. Everyone needs a roof over their head. What has happened to create a world so calloused to the needs of others?

Why is Puerto Rico not getting instant help to get their power restored? Why do we turn our backs on those in need? How can there be 65 million displaced persons?

I could go on and on. It does not end. There needs to be consequences to those who are at fault. Today I wish God could just visit the Earth with a cleansing of the wicked. May their deeds be brought to light - in the news, posted on billboards. Tell the truth about them. Let their stories come to light and may we all react with shock and disgust. May we demand a better world where truth and kindness reign and no mercy - no excuses - to those who commit these awful deeds.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Finding Insights in the Psalms

I read a book this last year entitled "For Times of Trouble" (Spiritual Solace from the Psalms) by Jeffrey R. Holland.  I was so t...