Monday, November 23, 2020

Psalm 61:1-2

Psalm 61: 1-2
Hear my cry, O God; attend unto my prayer. From the end of the earth will I cry unto thee, when my heart is overwhelmed, lead me to the rock that is higher than I.

To all there comes a realization that we are limited, powerless over many things. To the addict it is the addiction he cannot control. To parents of a wayward child, it is that prodigal. For many it is the forces of nature that rise up against them. They must flee or die.

I know that feeling. "My heart is overwhelmed", writes the psalmist. Don't we all feel that way at times? Overwhelmed by too many things to do. Overwhelmed by the cost of living. Overwhelmed by grief. Overwhelmed by trying to care for aging parents and teenagers at the same time. There is not enough of time, of money, of resources, of energy, of support.

And so the psalmist pleas, "lead me to the rock that is higher than I".

Step 1 of addiction recovery says "admitted that we ourselves are powerless, nothing without God." "I, of myself, and powerless - nothing without God."

Those words are echoed in the Book of Mormon. In Mosiah 4: 5-6, King Benjamin is speaking to "My friends and my brethren, my kindred and my people" asking if they have been "awakened to a sense of your nothingness, and you are worthless and fallen state.

Have they realized how powerless they are? He then points them to"the goodness of God and his matchless power and his wisdom, and his patience" that they might "put his trust in the Lord."

We read Ammon repeat that theme in Alma 25:12. "Yea, I know that I am nothing as to my own strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself but I will boast of my God."

How do we balance this theme with the knowledge of our divine nature, of our own gifts and talents, of the spiritual gifts that have been given to each of us? The Lord expects us to contribute to the world and use these gifts to make a difference. We should step forward and offer those gifts with confidence in ourselves.

As my husband and I have served in a church welfare initiative, we've had to take a look at the economic classes that coexist in American culture. As we studied "Bridges Out of Poverty", and compared the culture of poverty to the culture of the middle class we came to understand that the difference lay in "skills, knowledge and resources." The poor have few of these.

The question I had to ask myself was "Why did I have access to so many resources?" The answer was humbling. I had the skills, knowledge and resources to become self-reliant and provide for myself because of all the adults in my life who taught those to me. I had parents who taught me to work and be responsible. I had an extended family who has showed me I could succeed by modeling success and praising my successes. I had teachers in school who had high expectations for me and prepared me for college. I had connections through friends and family to my first employment opportunities. I am not a self-made person.

Out of the efforts of all those people a young woman of sharp intellect and a tender heart grew. I had the potential. I needed the skills, knowledge and resources to take that potential and create a useful life out of it.

My own unique character blossomed and I could then offer my gifts in my own way to the world. I am unique - one of a kind, but nurtured along the way by such loving mentors.

I have pride in my accomplishments and joy in using and sharing my talents. But what would I be had I not have those loving mentors and family? I kid myself not. I don't know what I would be.

There is a quote in the book "He Did Deliver Me from Bondage" that says, "We must come to realize that no matter how rich or educated or talented we become in ways that impress other people, we are still totally upheld by the power of God and God alone."

I know that for myself. I had so much opportunity in life and have been richly blessed. But my personal life - my inner life has been a struggle. The road I have traveled has been up and down, one step forward, two steps back. Life is brought much loss - a baby, a husband, my parents. I have known uncontrolled anger and grief and have been powerless to rise above them. My own path to healing came only when I finally admitted I could not do it alone.

My path at last led me to "the rock that is higher than I." My greatest joy in life is my testimony that God lives and cares for me. I am not alone. My weakness is compensated by His greatness. Together we can accomplish good things.


Barbra Streisand

Walk me over this horizon 
Let the sun's light warm my face 
Once again the times are changin' 
Once again I lost my way .
Well the words of ancient poets 
Fall like dust upon my shoes 
Greed has robbed me of my vision 
Turned my heart from higher truths.
So take my hand and lift me higher 
Be my love and my desire 
Hold me safe and honor bound 
Take my heart to higher ground.

I have walked too long in darkness 
I have walked too long alone 
Blindly clutching fists of diamonds 
That I found were only stones. 
I would trade the world of ages 
For a warmer hand to hold 
The path of light is narrow 
But it leads to streets of gold.
So take my hand and lift me higher 
Be my love and my desire 
Hold me safe and honor bound 
Take my heart to higher ground.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Finding Insights in the Psalms

I read a book this last year entitled "For Times of Trouble" (Spiritual Solace from the Psalms) by Jeffrey R. Holland.  I was so t...