Wednesday, December 23, 2020

Psalm 9:18

Psalm 9:18
For the needy shall not always be forgotten; the expectations of the poor shall not perish forever.

I like to think of the church's new emphasis on helping us become self-reliant as a fulfillment of the scripture and others like it. In a society like ours with its emphasis on upward mobility and material success, we start believing we are successful because of our own actions - we are "self-made men". 

That is so far from the truth. Take me, for example. I was born in a loving home with parents who both worked and modeled industry. I attended a high school where teachers were preparing us for college and helping us set goals for our future. I was able to find a good job that was adequate to pay my college expenses. I had no college debt. 

Along the way I had adults who mentored me and helped me to succeed. Where would I have been without them? 

I was born in the United States. How would my life have been different if I had been born in rural Pakistan? 

I was born healthy. What if I had been handicapped in some way? 

So much was just given to me.

So what about those who are born with very little? Are they not often the forgotten ones?

My husband and I feel very privileged to work in our Church's welfare initiative and help some of those whose expectations perished long ago. Our missionaries bring hope. Our needy are not forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Finding Insights in the Psalms

I read a book this last year entitled "For Times of Trouble" (Spiritual Solace from the Psalms) by Jeffrey R. Holland.  I was so t...